“Observant” innovators keep a keen and willing eye on the greater world to discover and incorporate ideas from anywhere and everywhere that will help create “what’s best for kids” experiences as often as possible.

Now, from a certain perspective, my “Santa’s Sweatshop” idea didn’t necessarily fulfill that inspired directive…and yet, it did.

December, 2015: Our parent group is preparing to decorate our gym for the holiday concert. They want to bring in two huge trees to set on either side of the stage. But where to find enough decorations with which to adorn them? What about 3 foot diameter snowflakes to hang on the back stage curtains? I overhear them talking. This group does sooooo much for our school. Can’t we do something to help them?

I organize my library classes. We have one week. Life observation: assembly line production can churn things out, and in this case it will be 8 inch ornaments at their finest. The first table of kids traces a pattern. The next table cuts. The next paints. The last sprinkles glitter. Four classes in four hours produce almost 80 ornaments. Henry Ford would have been impressed. And then there’s the snowflake crew. Folding, cutting, unfolding, taping. With the crowning moment: a child referred to by all the others as “The Chosen One” gets to hold the quart-sized glitter jug and await my signal. When I am done spraying the glue adhesive on the 3’ snowflakes, he is to hold his breath, run over, and shake that glitter container for all it is worth over those snowflakes and then depart before breathing again.

Of course, it was never really about the assembly line. It was about something else teachers observe all the time but can struggle to find a home for in our classrooms:  students want so desperately to create something truly of value and to help others. They really, really do.

In his blog post “Create Something of Value,” George Couros writes “we need to have our students not only think differently about the world we live in, but partake in that same world.” While he was writing specifically about student-inspired, creative funding solutions, the idea transcends to student-inspired community service. What magic can be created (and lifelong skills developed) when educators observe and bring in real world opportunities that allow students to create not only things of value but feelings of value as well?

And that’s where Santa’s Sweatshop really succeeded. Those kids were so proud. They were so happy to help. They reveled in the audience’s very audible gasp of awe when the gym lights went off and the stage lights went on. They understood: What a great feeling a good day’s work, not to mention 5 gallons of glitter, can give you.

4 thoughts on “All that glitter(s)…an observation on observation”

1. Laurie,
    You are quite OBSERVANT! I loved your blog post…….all that glitter and an ornament maker space which you call Santa’s Sweatshop! Terrific and funny to boot! I too teach in Vermont! I’m happy to see another Vermonter quoting George. What a great real world opportunity you provided for your students. And yes creating feelings of value, too. Bravo!
    Claire

2. Laurie,
    I loved the example you used for this blogpost. Something that seems so simple, is so gratifying for our students. They were able to genuinely help in a problematic situation; they were viewed as a solution to a problem. Having students engage in authentic, real-world situations, will empower them to take part in their world and community.

Mat

3. Loved the imagery in your post, Laurie! I can see your students spewing glitter all over the place with huge smiles, and I’m sure their smiles were even bigger when they saw the reactions of the crowd that night. Santa would be proud of their efforts, and of yours. Nice work!

4. Laurie, AWESOME post! The story connects to the reading on several levels, and your example of “Santa’s Sweatshop” is an outstanding example of connecting student work to the real world. I think you could have picked almost any one of the eight characteristics of the innovators mindset as this project was an outstanding example of a rich and authentic learning experience. Great job and thank you for sharing!